The Princess And The Pimple.

Believe it or not, based on a true story..For more posts about the Saudi royalty click here!

Once upon a time in the Magic Kingdom lived a young Princess called “Abeer”. She lived in a huge palace with her parents and had a Pink Hummer driven by her private chauffeur.

One morning Princess Abeer woke up and upon looking in the mirror screamed: “Noooo! Yaaa Allah this can’t be happening to me! Tomorrow is Alanoud’s wedding party!”

A gigantic red pimple stared back at her form the mirror. Worse yet it was in the middle of her forehead. “I look like a freak! Yaa maamaa!” she shouted in panic as she ran downstairs into the palace courtyard to find her mother.

“Mother what shall I do now, look at me I am so ugly! Tomorrow I must look my best because Prince Mishaal’s mother will be at the wedding to check me out! He won’t propose if I look like a three-eyed monster!”

“Yaa Rabb, poor girl. Don’t worry dear Beero, we will go to the hospital and tell them to give you some medicine for the pimple.”

So the Princesses left to the emergency room with their maids in tow. In the car Princess Abeer instructed the driver “Yalla ya Munir I am in great pain! Drive faster! Remember to use the royal entrance to the hospital so we don’t have to queue!”

On arrival at the ER the poor Princess was so weak she needed a wheelchair. The driver fetched the chair for her and they rushed her into the VIP section of the ER. A nurse and a royal officer immediately attended to the Princess and she was whisked past the overcrowded side of the ER full of the ordinary patients.

The Princesses had both thrown the black scarves over their heads so that their true identity (and the protruding pimple) would remain hidden. The nurse apologized and told the them to wait because she was busy with a very ill baby in the other room. The Princess got extremely upset.

“Sister don’t you know who I am?! I am Princess Abeer bint so and so bin so and so bin so and so bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud. You must attend to me first!”
“But your Highness, the baby might die!”
“I don’t care! This is an emergency situation! she exclaimed, sister get me the doctor NOW!”

The nurse ran off to fetch the doctor, she knew not to mess with the royal family members after some of her colleagues had been “dismissed” and sent on the next flight home after criticizing the VIP status of some patients. A Saudi male doctor specializing in ‘royal medicine’ arrived to examine the royal patient and asked her to remove the veil. The Princess whimpered in pain and exhaustion as she lay on the bed and finally removed her scarf.

Her mother with a stern voice advised the doctor: “Doctor we have imboortant event tomorrow and my Bibi needs to be a beerfect condition. Blease doctor we need a medicine.” .”And I’m in pain!” the Princess added.

The doctor looked at the pimple for a moment and then gave his orders to the nurse: “Take her vitals, do blood tests, insert IV line and start her on intravenous Ceftriaxone. Give Pethidine 100 mg I.V STAT. Apply Bacitracin ointment on the pimple Q.I.D.”
“Don’t worry your Highness we have it under control. The antibiotics will take care of the infection in no time and you will receive a pain killer now.”
“Thank you doctor! Now sister, call the kitchen we want to order some food!”

The nurse went off to follow the doctors orders shaking her head in disbelief of such vanity and the unnecessary medical interventions. The VIP kitchen staff arrived at bedside to take their order. “Freshly squeezed orange juice, chicken wings, fries..oh and cupcakes and gahwa please! Yalla besurah!” the young princess instructed.

The nurse returned to insert the I.V. line and the Princess shuddered. “Please sister I want the cream first!”
“But it’s only for children your Highness and it won’t hurt. Really, I promise it will be very quick.” the nurse tried to reassure the princess to no avail. “No, mama I want the cream!”.

“Sister, blease ze cream now.” the mother Princess confirmed with a stern voice, nodding her head to the direction of the doctors outside.

The nurse went to get the doctor’s orders for the skin numbing cream and returned to apply the cream to the princesses hand where the needle would go in. “Sister blease, ebra here so tomorrow mafi mushkila at wedding” the mother demanded pointing to her daughters arm.

“But your Highness, placing the cannula high on her arm, on the inner side will cause her great pain, the vein is very difficult to find and it is not per hospital policy either. We must always use the veins on the back of the hands first, then proceed higher and the very last resort are those high up on the arm.”

“What is zis bolicy sister? Yalla but ebra now sister!” the mother Princess seemed very agitated and annoyed, so the nurse forgot about reasoning and holding on to any professional ethics and just proceeded doing what they asked.

Despite the cream the Princess screamed in pain from the injection. “Shweia shweia sister, shweia shweia!” The mother disapprovingly clucked her tongue. “It’s too much pain sister! Use smaller ebra!” The nurse thought to herself, didn’t I just warn you about how painful it will be but you insisted on doing it anyway! The nurse explained that she was using the smallest possible needle for this difficult task.

Next the nurse began applying the antibiotic cream on the pimple. “Auuchhh, mama it hurts!” “Shweia shweia sister!” Cluck cluck cluck.

Finally the antibiotics were hooked and the Princess dozed off from her narcotic painkiller. Mother and daughter princess both spent the night in the ER on I.V fluids, watching movies from the flat screen TV and calling the nurses to run different errands for them throughout the night. The maids served gahwa and massaged their feet.

In the morning the doctor came to check the patient. “Your highness the infection is improving. We can discharge you but continue your antibiotics at home for a week and keep applying the cream.”

The pimple had indeed disappeared over night. “Thank you doctor! Sister, we want leave now so remove ze ebra and give us a medicine, besurah besurah!”
Upon leaving the hospital the mother Princess made a complaint of the nurses rude behavior to the Patient Relations Officer.

The Princesses returned to the castle and all was well in the Magic Kingdom.

And the Princess lived happily ever after, without the pimple.

Read more about how VIP patients get treated in Saudi hospitals here.

Vocabulary
Ebra= Needle
Besurah=hurry

gahwa=arabic coffee

Mafi mushkila=no problem
Sister=what all Saudi patients call nurses
Shweia=little, carefully
Pethidine=Extremely addictive narcotic painkiller
bint/bin=daughter/son of
Rabb=Lord

• KarenJanuary 20, 2012 - 3:18 am

That’s just… wow. What a spoiled rotten brat. I’d have my daughter’s forehead tattooed if she behaved like that.ReplyCancel

• Fruitful FusionJanuary 20, 2012 - 4:46 am

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!! That’s all I can say to this! :)ReplyCancel

• AliceJanuary 20, 2012 - 5:04 am

A very nice story!ReplyCancel

• ShimshimJanuary 20, 2012 - 7:12 am

I love the way you wrote this story, I love the dry humour and I can picture it happening. It’s not a one off either is it? I am sure you get tons of these kinds of “patients” who need medical assistance whilst some other poor sod is probably dying. It’s just too crazy.ReplyCancel

• AnonymousJanuary 20, 2012 - 7:51 am

The magic kingdom? I would say probably bewitched.ReplyCancel

• Om Lujain©January 20, 2012 - 1:21 pm

LSHCCOMNAIWEDA!!! hahahaha!!!ReplyCancel

• AnonymousJanuary 21, 2012 - 2:26 am

Loved it !
    I love the way you write and out the words together :)
    SaraReplyCancel

• AnonymousJanuary 22, 2012 - 2:06 am

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! i have not words otherwise i would curse.
    It sickening to think of how many times that happens and how many innocent in-need patients there are left waiting with REAL serious conditions while the princesses and princes of saudi arabia cheat the system. ARRRRRRRR I WISH I COULD HAVE SLAPPED THE PIMPLE OFF THAT PRINCESSES FACE lol.ReplyCancel

• Azizah Umm MuhammadJanuary 22, 2012 - 5:33 pm

Asalamualaikum Wa Rahmantuallahi wa Barakatu Laylah,
    Hi ukti, my name is Azizah. I am German, Austrian, and African American. I am an LPN nurse looking to make hijrah with my dh and children to Saudi in 2012, Insha Allah. I am married and have four children ages 15 to 3. I am a pediatric and geriatric nurse. I am starting my RN degree on line with excelsior this month, Insha Allah. With this program, I am able to study on my own and take my exams at Pearson VUE here in America and in Riyadh. I do not see any LPN positions in Saudi on line. So I’m thinking that they don’t even recognize LPNs there. Would I be able to get a job doing anything medical until I receive my RN? Can you please help me sister and lead me in the right direction with this, Insha Allah. Shukran
    Jazakulla Khairun,
    Azizah Umm MuhammadReplyCancel

• LaylahJanuary 22, 2012 - 10:10 pm

Shimshim-you’re right it’s not an isolated case, but it has got to be one of the most extreme cases of obnoxious behavior. Most royal patients know how to behave :)
    These sort of demands can be found coming from the “ordinary” patients as well.

Thanks all for the comments!ReplyCancel

• LaylahJanuary 22, 2012 - 10:14 pm

Aziza-salaam aleikum, thanks for contacting me. Regarding your question, they do have something called SN2 position here. So the RN’s are doing SNI and the SNII would be the closest equivalent to the LPN.
    Hope this helps.ReplyCancel

• MAHARUKHJanuary 23, 2012 - 3:44 pm

very well explained keeping all the dramatic action n mind good job… do stop by my blog sumtym plz :)ReplyCancel

• AnonymousJanuary 24, 2012 - 7:31 am

Lol, thanks for the post laylah. A good one. Is this really a true story?

SirehReplyCancel

• LaylahJanuary 24, 2012 - 7:06 pm

Sireh-more or less yes but a little bit “dramatized” and names changed of course.ReplyCancel

• Baladas Mp3January 25, 2012 - 7:19 pm

My sweet friend, I translated your blog, very nice and interesting you site.
    When you want to take refuge in good ballads of yesterday, today and forever in all languages and genres I invite you to visit my blog and listen me.
    From this Saturday January 21th I pay tribute to Arab culture , Middle East songs,in Arabic lenguage. Ababsa Fella (Algeria), Vivian Bishara (Palestine), Malouma (Mauritania), Ahlam (UAE), Bahaa El Kafi (Tunisia), Myriam Fares (Lebanon), Arwa (Yemen), Samira Said (Morocco), Dana Halabi (Kuwait), Shirine Abdelwahab (Egypt)
    I am a broadcaster of Argentina.
    Best regards from Rosario-Argentina
    Albert.
    ReplyCancel

• DentographerFebruary 2, 2012 - 10:56 pm

is it even medically possible to do that? i didnt know!
    i really dont know what to say or think,who to blame? i mean…

i am glad,so so glad,that i am not working in that hospital.
    effin corrupts.ReplyCancel

• LaylahFebruary 6, 2012 - 7:42 pm

Dentographer- they would most likely demand that you do these things too, unfortunately it’s the policy of the hospital to put VIP first :/ReplyCancel

• DeejFebruary 24, 2012 - 5:11 am

loooooooooool what a drama QUEEN!ReplyCancel

• AnonymousMay 30, 2012 - 8:53 am

Being an expat doctor working in a similar environment I can totally relate to this somewhat true story- only that in the case I know of the doctor was not only reprimanded, but put on probation and relocated for not interrupting his consultation with another patient to attend to the maid of a high official…

I started reading your blog just yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed every bitReplyCancel

• FatenJune 1, 2012 - 4:33 pm

If i was her mother i would have slapped her real hard and lock her in a dungeon for being such an illiterate stupid non-sense miserable young lady. Seriously these Saudi’s show great religious act towards modesty and yet there filthy rich children are spoiled brats. WHAT KIND OF ISLAM IS THIS?

Coming from a 17 year old living in Riyadh since birth.Who have encountered countless silly national princesses who needs sudden lessons towards being a wise person and not FREAK OUT JUST BECAUSE OF A PIMPLE.
    SHAME!ReplyCancel

• AnonymousOctober 6, 2012 - 12:34 pm

You do realize that most Saudi princesses don’t even wear a hijab? The second they’re out of Saudi Arabia they parade around in mini skirts and tank tops. Saudi Arabian royals are fake. They don’t care about Islam. They use it to control people. None of their children even wear hijabs. Look at the Saudi Royals in London, Monaco, Paris, New York and Italy. None of them EVER wear hijabs, all they wear is tank tops and short shorts. They’re all fake.ReplyCancel

• PearlJune 11, 2012 - 1:43 pm

Assalamu alaikum. What happened to the poor baby? Miskeen.
    I can’t imagine giving IV antibiotics for one pimple!!! and IM Pethidine on top of that!!ReplyCancel

• LaylahJune 12, 2012 - 1:14 pm

Pearl-I’m not sure what happened in the end but the baby was in a very poor condition when brought in.ReplyCancel

• AnonymousJuly 19, 2012 - 6:02 am

hahahha – is this for real???ReplyCancel

• AnonymousOctober 6, 2012 - 12:31 pm

If it’s for real, the human race is doomed.ReplyCancel

• AnonymousAugust 2, 2012 - 11:26 pm

Well written Laylah! You are a very talented writer :)ReplyCancel

• AnonymousOctober 6, 2012 - 12:31 pm

I can’t stop laughing. Has this princess bitch ever heard of thing thing called CONCEALER?ReplyCancel

• AnonymousOctober 6, 2012 - 3:56 pm

layla i wish more of the females in saudi arabia were pretty much interactive like u…dont take it in the wrong sense interactive as in “fun,joking around and cool”…..ur blogs really cool where u can post different experiences and stuff…i’ve got a lot 2 share over here…ReplyCancel

• Male Ward BMay 22, 2013 - 11:33 am

I heard a lot of horror stories from my female colleagues in female ward. Nurses are going to heaven, the heaven is watching us.ReplyCancel

• AsiaAugust 20, 2013 - 5:38 am

awww…Ain't she a poor baby? (written in a very sarcastic way possible. lol) One of the best fairy tale I've ever read. I thought Cinderella's stepsisters are the worst, then I came to Saudi Arabia. If I am her fairy god mother, poof! -she'll have the pimple as large as a pumpkin Cinderella rode into, in no time! lolReplyCancel

• Best Of Blue Abaya 2012 | Blue AbayaFebruary 26, 2014 - 3:14 am

[…] Princess And The Pimple: Story of a Saudi Princess who wakes up one morning with a huge pimple on her face. Her mother takes her to the emergency room VIP section where the royal pimple receives more medical attention than the dying baby next door. Another funny story of the royal family check Royal Morgue […]ReplyCancel

• […] anecdotes are about royalty are set in the King Faisal Hospital, Riyadh, where she works. ‘The Princess and the Pimple’ is a tale about a spoilt princess who wakes up one morning with a pimple on her face and throws […]ReplyCancel