Blue Abaya’s Top Ten Amazing places to visit in Saudi-Arabia:
1. Madain Saleh If you visit only one place in Saudi-Arabia, let it be Madain Saleh. The other-worldly scenery, breath taking nature, and rich history make it a destination worth exploring for many days. Madain Saleh is not only the tombs of the ancient Nabatean people, but it offers much more for the tourist to explore. The Hejaz railway built Ottomans runs through it. Nearby the town of Al-Ula boasts a beautiful oasis, museums, an old mud village and ruins and tombs of Khuraibah.
2. Najran The colorful city of Najran on the Yemeni border offers an unforgettable experience for travelers. Its unique history, architecture and culture blends in with the neighboring Yemen. Najran is a very tourist friendly destination in Saudi-Arabia that pleases even the most experienced traveler.
3. Farasan Islands A favorite diving destination of Jacques Cousteau, Farasan Islands have more than just private beaches and sand for every visitor to enjoy. The Islands are a bird watchers paradise and also have mangroves and endemic Gazelle species in addition to the numerous historical sites on the main island.
4. Empty Quarter It is not empty. It is full of beauty, silence, wildlife and tranquility.
5. Al Soudah The Asir National Park and the Al-Soudah area near Abha are a lush, breezy paradise best visited in the hot summer months. The park offers trekking, camping sites, cable cars, and plenty of other outdoor activities in addition to interesting architecture and friendly people. Check out Blue Abaya’s Top recommended things to do in Soudah, Abha and Khamis Mushayt here!
6. Wahba Crater This volcanic crater lies 700km from Riyadh towards Taif. It has amazing scenery including lava fields, an oasis and salt pans and can easily be explored by foot. The site makes for an unforgettable camp out experience.
Al Lith is a small town about 275 km south of Jeddah. It is the port of departure for diving the Farasan Banks eco system.This is Saudi-Arabia’s best diving destination, with incredibly clear waters, amazing wrecks and abundant marine life.
8. Edge of the World One of the most spectacular views in Saudi-Arabia can be experienced from the Edge of the World which is part of the 800km long Jebel Tuwaiq Escarpment. When looking to the horizon from the edge it appears as if the plains continue endlessly. For the location and directions how to visit this magical place, go to Blue Abaya’s Guide to Edge of the World.
The mountain city of Taif is famous for its roses and rosewater. In the spring the flowers and the whole area are in full bloom. Taif is an excellent area for trekking and mountain climbing as well. (the lovely lady pictured below is a friend of mine)
10. Qassim The northern towns of Buraidah and Unaizah in the Qassim region offer rich cultural heritage and history. Unaizah has ancient farmlands, beautiful unique mosques, historical sites and an excellent traditional marketplace.
Don’t miss out on more travel inspiration from Saudi Arabia in the Wanderlust Wednesday KSA posts on Blue Abaya!