The Secret Lake

secret-lake-desert-riyadh ccLast weekend we visited one of my favorite spots in the desert just outside of Riyadh, a beautiful place I like to call the “Secret Lake”. Secret, because not so many people seem to know of the existence of such a hidden gem so close to Riyadh, which I think is actually for the better. Unfortunately many of the most popular, picturesque picnic and camping areas have been ruined by litter! One such example is another desert lake, Lake Kharrarah at the Red Sand dunes, which on the weekends hosts half of Riyadh for a picnic!

But not the Secret lake..nobody knows about its location and to keep it so the coordinates and map will not be published publicly. You can however purchase the Secret Lake Guide eBook, if you want to visit the lake. It contains all the necessary coordinates, directions and maps to reach it. Grab your The Secret Lake -Riyadh’s Hidden Gem eBook here.

During our previous trip to this amazing desert oasis in May 2012, the lake still had deep water in it. Surprisingly there was so much water that sea weed and even fish were living in it. I was amazed by this tranquil and green place midst the harsh dry landscape. The area seems like the last place you would ever find water in!

These kind of temporary desert lakes form after heavy rainfalls, normally occurring during the winter months. Because the surrounding area is so arid, all the rainwater flushes down the dry hills into the valleys, from where it travels to the lowest grounds forming seasonal lakes such as this one.

green desert lake riyadh

When we visited the lake in November 2012, most of the water had dried up and in its place was a beautiful green meadow full of flowers. At the end of the lake there’s a large green willows growing very tall reeds. A cacophony of birds and frogs can be heard there but mostly not seen.

The wind blows softly through the reeds, swishing them back and forth. It looks like waves in the ocean.The sound is so peaceful, so calming.

I could stare at it for hours and not get bored!

Delicate like little snowflakes.

My friend Mandi who writes the blog Under the Abaya came with us and I’m so glad she enjoyed the trip despite the lack of water! After our little picnic we decided to climb up the hill to catch a better view of the lake.

My husband watched the babies next to the area we found water at, while Mandi and I made our way up the hill like nimble mountain gazelles (not).

A small sign of life peaking through from the rocks.

It was very quiet and we were now the only people there.

The sun was setting behind the hills and the light started to color the valley first a golden hew and then a beautiful pink color.

The view from the top is beautiful!

Mandi making her way down. Be careful of the loose rocks especially when coming down.

This area is rich in fossils because it used to be the bottom of the ocean some 50 million years ago. I found this rock which I call the “caterpillar fossil”.

The dried up river bed. We were in a hurry to leave the site shortly after sunset because it becomes very difficult to drive here in the dark.
The best chance to see this location with water in it is after heavy rains. It’s raining today in Riyadh so there’s a good chance water would accumulate here again if enough pours down from the skies! I’m letting my readers know about this location via an ebook guide because I know you’re all responsible, environmentally conscious people, right? And I take it nobody will leave trash there! If you see trash, take it away with you!

UPDATE: Available now the ebook guide to the Secret Lake with GPS- coordinates, maps, directions and more!

UPDATE: January 24th, 2016. Lake is full of deep, clear water! riyadh hidden gem lake

UPDATE Secret Lake Guide book has been published! Find it here

UPDATE February 19th 2016 Lake is still full of deep blue crystal clear water.

• NikkianaDecember 17, 2012 - 1:04 am

Wow! That place looks really beautiful. Thanks for sharing!ReplyCancel

• JennyDecember 17, 2012 - 4:32 am

What an incredible place! I loved the pictures of the different plants and how they changed through the dried up lake bed. The desert is amazing.ReplyCancel

• JennyDecember 17, 2012 - 4:34 am

What an incredible place! I loved the pictures of the different plants that thrived in this unique setting.ReplyCancel

• Umm AbudiDecember 17, 2012 - 5:44 am

Jazakillah khair! This is a beautiful place! My family is always on the lookout for new picnic places…we’ll try to go here this weekend, inshaAllah. (Don’t worry, we won’t leave any litter behind :) )ReplyCancel

• LaylahDecember 22, 2012 - 11:00 pm

Umm Abudi- enjoy it and leave only footprints :)ReplyCancel

• The Moroccan MuslimahDecember 18, 2012 - 12:39 pm

Wow! So beautiful! MashaAllah!! Keep it up :)

Read and follow this beautiful young girl who’s telling about herself preparing for her marriage, falling in love with a foreign man and getting ready to leave her country for him..

• flawlessvelvetDecember 21, 2012 - 1:46 am

How long does it take to get there?ReplyCancel

• AnonymousDecember 22, 2012 - 12:28 am

Hi Layla Plesea I would appreciate you watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSKBGdv07nQ
    Its the easiest video about the Council of Nicea which I saw you wrote down in your blog.Please do not make statments about chrisitanity because I do not do it about Islam.Please do not mislead other people when there are not historical facts.And please, do not make an association about Christianity and the West because IT IS NOT.Jesus was a JEW FROM PALESTINE.So please do not think that the God of the Bible its what you whatch in England with all young girls drunk and partying like crazy because it is not.The Bible has one of the most beautiful and perfect message which Quran contradicts.Why it is not allow to open a church in SA when you can perfectly can open a mosque in the rest of the world??I do understand you do not want pubs alcohol or drugs (which you have as all countries)but why I will be killed if I open a church??Why are muslims scare from listen about our faith and share it with us?.I would like to whise you all the love and success.Take care.God Bless u God doesn´t forget you.You are his beloved daughter.ReplyCancel

• NoorDecember 24, 2012 - 4:38 pm

Wow its so pretty I want to go there so bad.ReplyCancel

• bigstickDecember 27, 2012 - 7:54 pm

Laylah.

Great pictures.

Have a happy Winter Solstice and New Year. :)

ReplyCancel

• The Secret Eye of L.A.Y.L.A.H. |September 5, 2013 - 1:21 pm

[…] Blue Abaya: The Secret Lake […]ReplyCancel

• Mohannad zidaneSeptember 8, 2013 - 10:19 am

That’s really beautiful place. Could you tell us where is it exactly?ReplyCancel

• TusharJanuary 24, 2014 - 9:59 pm

Dear Layla, Thanks to your excellent directions we found the secret lake. Its really amazing. It was full of water as it rained a lot this year. We recommend going there before it becomes too hot and the lake dries. Thanks again.ReplyCancel

• LaylaJanuary 25, 2014 - 10:21 am

Wonderful!! Thank you for the feedback and letting us know there’s water in it :)ReplyCancel

• Mohammad AmmarJanuary 25, 2014 - 9:45 pm

Please share the GPS coordinates
    ReplyCancel

• TusharJanuary 27, 2014 - 7:30 pm

Dear Layla,
    I have got some real good pictures of the lake full with water. How can I share it with your blog? We also want to tell you that we left no litter there and also request others visiting there to do the same. Pl carry back your litter and preserve the beauty of the lake.:)ReplyCancel

• AltamashFebruary 1, 2014 - 4:09 am

Hello,

Lovely pictures.. I tried following your route in google maps, but got last once the dirt track started.. Can you pin-point on google maps, or post gps coordinates?

Thanks
    AltamashReplyCancel

• Nur Qyyum NgApril 5, 2014 - 7:52 pm

Visited this place today…. I can only say “MASYAALLAH … BEAUTIFUL!!”…. we finally found the place after almost 2 hours search….
    we followed your direction… The 3 forks road before reaching the lake has become 2 forks…. :)
    that was where we kind of got “lost” but never giving up…. Alhamdullilah, we found it….

• Wael HJanuary 8, 2015 - 9:59 am

Can you please post the GPS in Google map the please.

Thanks for sharing :)ReplyCancel

• […] and sometimes even a small waterfall can be spotted there. There is a lesser known location, a Secret Lake, which has very deep water and even fish in it, located also just outside of the city. The lake […]ReplyCancel

• FebNovember 2, 2015 - 11:23 am

Hi, Can i get the GPS coordinates please ?ReplyCancel

• tyamustaphaNovember 24, 2015 - 9:18 pm

Hi im new here in riyadh working as a nurse in kamc. Where should i start my travelling around ksa? I always wanted to go out but i dont know many places round here. . 😢😢ReplyCancel

• Laura of ArabiaNovember 25, 2015 - 1:58 pm

Start by doing the closer stuff around Riyadh, for example Ushaiger Heritage village :)ReplyCancel

• sufyanDecember 18, 2015 - 1:21 am

Please share co-ordinates for this location , i am pretty confusedReplyCancel

• SufyanDecember 19, 2015 - 7:02 am

Please search the location on “google earth”, by the directions you mentioned , and share the co-ordinates. PleaseReplyCancel

• Arabian LauraJanuary 16, 2016 - 3:12 pm

Downloadable ebook coming soon where you will get all that info from, stay tuned!ReplyCancel

• NanditaFebruary 3, 2016 - 11:46 am

Hi,

Plasee could you give us the location – would like a vist this weekend if possible. TksReplyCancel

• Arabian LauraFebruary 7, 2016 - 11:44 pm

Hi Sufyan!

The Ebook guide I wrote about the Secret lake will give you clear directions, maps and gps coordinates, so you don’t have to be confused anymore :)ReplyCancel

• […] known amazing place in Saudi Arabia is this Riyadh Hidden Gem: The Secret Lake For more amazing places to see in Saudi Arabia click here! Experienced and […]ReplyCancel

• BertApril 25, 2016 - 1:44 pm

Nice try Rakan but it is not the correct location. I’ve been there and it is one of beautiful hidden places to visit with crossover 2×4 car can do at the moment (my yaris car did it sometime ago before the flood). We found frogs & fishes when we went there but unfortunately I cant say or post the location cause it will never be a secret no more.ReplyCancel