Ten Amazing Things from Finland
1. Sauna All Finns love sauna! We have over 2 million saunas in Finland, that’s on average one per household. Health benefits of the sauna include: lowers blood pressure, increases blood circulation, cleanses skin from toxins and impurities and blemishes, aids weight loss, relaxes muscles, decreases swelling and reduces stress. Did you know that back in the day, Finnish women gave birth in the sauna! Learn more about Finnish sauna traditions here!
Did you know that there is a town in Finland called Nokia and the mobile phone company started out as a wood mill in the 19th century? Nokia also produces raincoats, tyres and rubber boots!
The amazing health discovery for dental health is a sweetener derived from the Finnish Birch trees. Xylitol’s health-promoting effects on teeth have been proven in many scientific studies. Xylitol cuts off acid attacks, prevents cavities, reduces the amount of plaque and prevents mothers infecting their children with caries. Xylitol also reduces children’s ear infections.” http://www.foodforlife.fi/english/finnish-innovations/xylitol-combats-cavities
4. Angry Birds Everybody knows Angry Birds but did you know they were created by a Finnish computer game company called Rovio? Today the Angry birds are popular all over the world and in Finland they have Angry Birds amusement parks, beauty products, evening gowns and everything under the sun in the Angry Birds theme.
5. Education System Not an innovation per se, but something to be very proud of! Countries all around the world (including very recently Saudi-Arabia) are trying to find out the secret to the success of Finland’s education system which consistently tops OECD charts. Learn more here “Saudis could take lessons from Finnish Schools”
Unfortunately the Finnish man that invented SMS messaging never earned a penny for his idea!
7. Benecol The miracle product Benecol, which started out as a margarine that contains sterols and stanols which have been scientifically proven to lower cholesterol levels is now sold worldwide.
8. Santa Claus The REAL Santa, Mrs. Santa and the Little Elves live in the Arctic Circle in Finland at a place called Santa Claus Village. The Santa Claus Village has a fully functioning post office which receives millions of letters from all around the world. Each and every letter will be replied to by Santa’s Little Helpers. You can write to Santa from this link. It’s not only children who write to Santa, sometimes he gets letters from adults seeking for advice in difficult life situations. Santa Claus could be called the world’s most famous Goodwill Ambassador!
9. Ice Skates Apparently us Finns have already been ice skating for about 5000 years! No wonder Finns have the best Ice Hockey Team in the world! World Champions 2011!
Only Finns will agree: Salmiakki, also known as salty liquorice, which is actually (Ammonium Chloride mixed into black liquorice!) is Finland’s gift to the world! Check out this HILARIOUS blog called Salmiyuck to find out how special this stuff really is! Adventures in Salmiakki, reviews of the endless world of wonderful salmiakki products. It is certainly an acquired taste ;)
Here are 10 amazing innovations, inventions and inspiration that you may not know come from Finland, Europe’s 6th largest country with a population of just 5.4 million. For more awesome facts about Finland, check out this post
Sign up for email updates!
Join over 6000 Subscribers and get our latest content and updates from Saudi Arabia directly to your inbox.
(Visited 13,394 times, 1 visits today)
Hello there! I’m Laura, the founder of Blue Abaya- the first travel blog in Saudi Arabia, established in 2010. Travel has always been my passion- so far I’ve visited 75 countries and I’m always on the lookout for new adventures inside and outside of Saudi Arabia! Follow my adventures in Saudi and beyond on instagram: instagram.com/blueabaya