Top Ten Amazing places to visit in Saudi-Arabia by Blue Abaya-Explore Arabia:
1. Hegra, AlUla If you visit only one place in Saudi-Arabia, let it be AlUla and its heritage gem Hegra (also known as Madain Saleh). The other-worldly scenery, breath taking nature, and rich history make it a destination worth exploring for many days. Hegra is not only the tombs of the ancient Nabatean people and Saudi Arabia’s first UNESCO listed world heritage site, but it offers much more for the tourist to explore. The Hijaz railway built Ottomans runs through it. Nearby the town of AlUla boasts a beautiful oasis, a well preserved Old Town, and the Lihyan Kingdom sites Lion Tombs tombs, Dadan Kingdom and Jabal Ikmah, a canyon full of inscriptions up to 3000 years old dubbed ” The Open Library”.
A modern wonder an Guinness World Record holder Maraya concert hall rises like a mirage in the desert in Ashar valley of AlUla. Read more about visiting Hegra here: Saudi Arabia’s mysterious ancient city Hegra-Mada’in Saleh.
2. Najran The colorful city of Najran on the Yemeni border offers an unforgettable experience for travelers. Its unique history, architecture and culture blends in with the neighboring Yemen. Najran is a very tourist friendly destination in Saudi-Arabia that pleases even the most experienced traveler. Inscribed as Saudi Arabia’s UNESCO heritage site in 2021, the Hima Rock Art site is located in Najran.
3. Farasan Islands A favorite diving destination of Jacques Cousteau, Farasan Islands have more than just private beaches and sand for every visitor to enjoy. The Islands are a bird watchers paradise and also have mangroves and endemic Gazelle species in addition to the numerous historical sites on the main island.
4. Empty Quarter It is not empty. It is full of beauty, silence, wildlife and tranquility.
5. Al Soudah The Asir National Park and the Al-Soudah area near Abha are a lush, breezy paradise best visited in the hot summer months. The park offers trekking, camping sites, cable cars, and plenty of other outdoor activities in addition to interesting architecture and friendly people. Check out Blue Abaya’s Top recommended things to do in Soudah, Abha and Khamis Mushayt here!
6. Wahba Crater This volcanic crater lies 700km from Riyadh towards Taif. It has amazing scenery including lava fields, an oasis and salt pans and can easily be explored by foot. The site makes for an unforgettable camp out experience.
Al Lith is a small town about 275 km south of Jeddah. It is the port of departure for diving the Farasan Banks eco system. This is Saudi-Arabia’s best diving destination, with incredibly clear waters, amazing wrecks and abundant marine life.
8. Edge of the World One of the most spectacular views and amazing places to visit in Saudi-Arabia can be experienced from the Edge of the World which is part of the 800km long Jebel Tuwaiq Escarpment. When looking to the horizon from the edge it appears as if the plains continue endlessly. For the location and directions how to visit this magical place, go to Blue Abaya’s Guide to Edge of the World. Grab a free ebook guide to the Edge of the World HERE!
The mountain city of Taif is famous for its roses and rosewater. In the spring the flowers and the whole area are in full bloom. Taif is also known for its glorious old palaces, fruit farms and the Al Hada mountain cable car with thrilling views. The best time to visit Taif is from March to through the summer months, when it’s cooler than the rest of the country due its elevated location.
10. Qassim The northern towns of Buraidah and Unaizah in the Qassim region offer rich cultural heritage and history. Unaizah has ancient farmlands, beautiful unique mosques, historical sites and an excellent traditional marketplace.
Don’t miss out on more travel inspiration from Saudi Arabia in the Wanderlust Wednesday KSA posts on Blue Abaya!
make sure you Follow on instagram to see the latest travel news including Saudi e-visa info: Blueabaya instagram
Post updated 08/2021
Sign up for email updates!
Join over 6000 Subscribers and get our latest content and updates from Saudi Arabia directly to your inbox.
You might also like:
Hello there! I’m Laura, the founder of Blue Abaya- the first travel blog in Saudi Arabia, established in 2010. Travel has always been my passion- so far I’ve visited 75 countries and I’m always on the lookout for new adventures inside and outside of Saudi Arabia! Follow my adventures in Saudi and beyond on instagram: instagram.com/blueabaya