- Participate in the King Abdulaziz Historical Center celebrations. Every year the biggest and best celebrations are held in a vast area spreading around the Historical Center buildings and the National Museum. Traditional Sword (Aardha) dances, Najdi music, songs, and poetry recital fill the warm evenings and nights in a beautifully decorated setting. Enjoy a picnic in the National Museum Gardens watching the fountain and light show. Children will enjoy playing on the grass fields and running through the cooling fountains.
- Explore the Qasr Al Hokum Square festival area surrounded by Saudi history. Highlights of this festival, situated next to the Al Musmak fort and Deerah souvenir and antique souk, include traditional folklore tents, handicrafts markets, Saudi food stalls and lots of activities and games for children. This area is usually separated for men and women.
- Watch the Eid fireworks show organized by the Riyadh Municipality. The fireworks schedule changes every year and information provided by Riyadh Municipality is unfortunately often incorrect and confusing. (Please check the schedule of 2016 from Arriyadh website www.arriyadh.com or Eidalriyadh site https://eid.alriyadh.gov.sa/Events/1466/1465 . The best places to view the fireworks from are the King Fahad football stadium, the suspension bridge and the water tower viewing platform, located next to the National Museum.
- Dine outside with views to both Mamlaka and Faisaliyah towers which will be specially lit for Eid. Café Lenotre and Lusin Armenian restaurant on Centria Mall’s third floor both offer family seating areas under the stars and cooling mists. Reservations during the first days of Eid are an absolute must.
- Check out the spectacular views from the Deerah water tower viewing platform. The tower is located inside the small amusement park next to the National Museum. From up here you can and get a bird’s eye view down to the festival area, the beautifully lit mosques, historical buildings, festive lights and decorations of the area. Also one of the best places to watch the fireworks from. Admission into the amusement park is 10 SAR and an additional 5 SAR to go up the tower. If you’re aiming to see the fireworks arrive at least half hour early.
- Go to Historical Diriyah Bujairy Square to enjoy Eid celebration festival. Watch the Ardah dances in a historical setting. Lots of nice restaurants in the area like the Saudi traditional food restaurant Najd Village and Bab al Yemen.
- Spend a nice evening outdoors at Kindy Plaza Square inside the Diplomatic Quarters. A large plaza where kids can ride bikes, hover boards, roller-skate etc. Outdoor seating area for cafes such as Dr. Cafe. Beautiful Al Kindy Mosque and parks nearby
- Mingle with the local ladies at the Women’s festival building in the King Abdulaziz Historical Center. Mothers and daughters can have henna tattoos made, watch theatre and comedy shows, have face paintings made and the height of the evening a chance to watch Saudi women dancing and singing traditional Saudi songs.
- Men and children will enjoy the activities at the Show’s Square off exit 10 next to the AlSager Aviation Museum. This huge area has lots of motor sports and can be visited by the whole family. High Diving Show, motorcycle show, modified cars show, wall trampoline, flying trapeze, remote-controlled cars shows and competitions.
- Take the family or a group of friends for a fun day out in Thumamah sand dunes. Choose from Quad bike rentals, camel rides, kite-flying,horse back riding, or dune bashing and sand boarding. Rent an outdoor istirahah with a traditional Saudi tent and enjoy a meal by the camp fire or inside the air-conditioned tents.
Sign up for email updates!
Join over 6000 Subscribers and get our latest content and updates from Saudi Arabia directly to your inbox.
You might also like:
Hello there! I’m Laura, the founder of Blue Abaya- the first travel blog in Saudi Arabia, established in 2010. Travel has always been my passion- so far I’ve visited 75 countries and I’m always on the lookout for new adventures inside and outside of Saudi Arabia! Follow my adventures in Saudi and beyond on instagram: instagram.com/blueabaya