How Expats with Dependent Iqama can apply for Saudi Driving License

Great news for women in Saudi Arabia who are under their husbands sponsorship, and previously unable to register online to apply for Saudi driving license. There has been a problem with so called “dependent iqama” holders to apply for the driving license conversion which requires an independent Absher account.

The update is that now the husband (sponsor) can login to the Saudi driving License Portal SDLP www.sdlp.sa/login with his own absher account and then proceed to apply for the foreign license conversion for his wife. The SDLP is in Arabic but below in images are translated step by step guide how to go through this phase.

UPDATE: SDLP site is now available in English!

UPDATE September 2018: According to reports from several dependent women around Saudi Arabia, they have stopped issuing licenses to women on dependent status for the time being. if any official statement arises we will update here !

The rest of the steps how to get Saudi driving license for dependent iqama holders please follow these steps:

Saudi driving license application for women

**Please note this applies to women registered as their husbands dependents in the Absher system, with valid foreign driving license.

If you are a female expat in Saudi under your employers sponsorship or married to a Saudi then follow these steps: How to convert foreign license to Saudi license and you will be able to convert an existing, valid driving license from any foreign country to the Saudi one by first creaitng your own Absher account. Creating an independent Absher account is still not possible for the dependent iqama holders, but it’s now possible to aapply using your husbands absher.

Converting the license does not mean you need to give up or “surrender” your original, however it is needed to present at the Moroor once you are doing the short driving test.

To find out what you need to get done BEFORE registering at SDLP site you must follow the instructions on this post: Step by Step Guide How Expats Apply For Saudi Driving License

If you need to follow the guide in Arabic it is available here: How Saudi and expat women can convert foreign license to Saudi license

Here are the translated steps how to apply for dependents driving license conversion with husbands Absher account on www.sdlp.sa site:

Leave father and grandfather name blank in case your name does not follow this way.

After registering online and booking appointment at your nearest Moroor office the steps are the same as in this guide: How to Apply for Saudi Driving License. Please read to find out more about the driving test and what to bring with you to the test.

Tip: If your city’s appointments are all booked, check your nearest cities and you can apply in any of them.

According to one expat family they went to Makkah Moroor and the traffic officer conducting the test had been very rude and not spoke English at all during the test, forcing the woman to fail her test since she did not understand his instructions. It might be a good idea to take a Arabic speaker with you to test just in case or demand a English speaking officer. But this is just one officer in one location, all others so far I’ve heard of are more friendly and helpful, such as the ones in Riyadh Rimal branch were when I went in June. read about the experience here: Getting our Saudi driving licenses

Good luck everyone and please leave comments about your experiences to help others apply and any updates you know of!

Enjoy driving!

Janadriyah camel calendar

Join over 6000 Subscribers and get our latest content and updates from Saudi Arabia directly to your inbox.

We won't send you spam. Promise! Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Hello there, I’m Laura, the founder, author and manager of Blue Abaya, the first travel blog in Saudi Arabia established in 2010.  Travel has always been my passion- so far I’ve visited 69 countries and I’m always on the lookout for new adventures inside and outside of Saudi Arabia! Having visited all corners of the Kingdom with over a decade of experience, I have a vast knowledge base about travel and tourism in Saudi Arabia.

• MariaJuly 19, 2018 - 1:01 pm

I also got my license from Rimal Riyadh on 12th july and none of the instructors spoke english and i was the first one to go in the morning…yikes. Thankfully the other ladies translated instructions for me and he made another lady take the test before me so i understood what is needed, especially your post and pic of the track helped.

So ladies plz beware and speak up if you dont understand. They are all helpful though.ReplyCancel

• aishaAugust 30, 2018 - 12:34 am

Hi, What’s the fees for a new driver’s license for expat women?ReplyCancel

• Neeta SinghSeptember 10, 2018 - 3:20 pm

Could you please let me know what is permission letter and who gives it if you are on your spouse’s Iquama. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• BobJuly 20, 2018 - 4:47 am

Ok sounds good. I as a male took test passed but they still found a problem with my UK license….. eventually when sorted they said I had to do an advance test…. so making up it was cheaper to drive on the AA international license.ReplyCancel

• alokaJuly 20, 2018 - 3:50 pm

hello
    thanks for your detailed article , i checked my iqama , and i find it still valid , thanks again for your helpReplyCancel

• TasneemJuly 20, 2018 - 10:56 pm

Hi, I did sdlp step through my father’s absher account. but where do i upload the documents and where do i book appmnt (online or physical)? Much thanks to you for the update, highly appreciated!ReplyCancel

• StarwberryJuly 22, 2018 - 12:32 pm

Thnks for updating!! you got any idea why i am not able to get past the homepage?.. nothing happens when i try clicking the login button…ReplyCancel

• AdeelJuly 23, 2018 - 2:31 pm

I was facing the same problem, then i cleared the browsing history. then I logged back in and got through the website.ReplyCancel

• Rubaina HayatJuly 23, 2018 - 10:54 am

I am an expat on my fathers visa. I dont have a license from a foriegn country. Can i apply for a license with the same procedure you mentioned above?ReplyCancel

• Deepa SenguptaJuly 23, 2018 - 11:29 am

Thank you Blue Abaya for all the required info.
    Does the Practical test means the written test?
    Also, Is there anyone in Dammam / Khobar who has applied for license? Kindly help on the translation/medical/license center for Dammam / Khobar or nearby areas.ReplyCancel

• Rez25July 26, 2018 - 9:52 pm

Thanks Laura for your help! I got mine in Dammam! Well in fact I went to Hofuf to do the test because no appointments available before september in Dammam. Translation done in Khobar driving school (small office on the left before the entry gate) and medical in Layla Onaizi Polyclinic (you need to go there with the medical form that you can get at the driving school and 2 ID pictures). Everything was pretty easy and got my driving licence in less than 1 hour (well + the 2 hours drive to reach Hofuf ;o). Good luck ladies for yours!ReplyCancel

• Ayesha ismailJuly 24, 2018 - 10:09 am

Your website is very useful please keep it up
    Thanks
    AyeshaReplyCancel

• ReginaJuly 26, 2018 - 5:51 pm

Hi Laura, thanks for the update especially for dependent wives! Just to clarify as I was a little confused by the post – so my husband can apply for the conversion of my license through the SDLP – by logging in with his account details; but the rest of the procedures is the same as Saudi women getting licences? Thanks again! Will hope to be driving soon!ReplyCancel

• ZareenaJuly 30, 2018 - 1:11 pm

How do I apply for a licence if I don’t have a licence from my own country?ReplyCancel

• AlejandraAugust 2, 2018 - 3:37 am

Thanks for the update, you are the best!ReplyCancel

• MominaAugust 2, 2018 - 7:55 am

Laura,
    After obtaining the driver’s license, can I purchase a car and be the primary owner? Thanks!ReplyCancel

• LauraAugust 2, 2018 - 12:23 pm

yes you can as long as it´s not a 7 seater suv car.ReplyCancel

• M MabsAugust 4, 2018 - 8:58 am

The https://www.sdlp.sa/login website does not respond and times out. Did anyone find a way to over this ?ReplyCancel

• MaeAugust 5, 2018 - 10:03 am

Thank you Ms Laura for your blog. I got my Saudi License already from Dammam Morror this week and they were all friendly.ReplyCancel

• rawaa baydounAugust 5, 2018 - 6:28 pm

Hi, I am Lebanese and I have a Lebanese driving license, what can I do to obtain the Saudi driving license? I tried several times to register in Absher site but still not responding. Thanks in advance.ReplyCancel

• AmmarAugust 6, 2018 - 1:48 am

Dear all can anyone help I applied for my wife’s licence
    And it shows the status “ waiting for document validator “

I didn’t pay fee yet those who got their licence can they explain thisReplyCancel

• ParachaAugust 15, 2018 - 5:38 pm

I took my wife on Aug 13 (Jeddah East Office) and were told that there are orders from Riyadh to hold off issuing visa for expat dependent women.
      Anyone else heard the same?ReplyCancel

• HMSeptember 6, 2018 - 8:12 am

Same in Jubail. System close for expat dependent. As of Sept 4, 2018.ReplyCancel

• ZeeAugust 14, 2018 - 2:38 am

Hi! They do have an automatic car for the test at the appointed day, don’t they?ReplyCancel

• NylAugust 14, 2018 - 5:33 pm

Can I ask if dependents without license before still apply for this?ReplyCancel

• AtifAugust 18, 2018 - 11:33 am

My wife has already received a Saudi driving Licence. Can you guide the procedure for making her to authorized for my own vehicle?ReplyCancel

• aishaAugust 30, 2018 - 1:07 pm

Dear Sir,
      What was the cost of receiving the driving license for your wife?ReplyCancel

• AmberAugust 27, 2018 - 11:38 am

Welllll….. thnx a lot for all the extended help and feed back I got from yr thread and blog………to compile the process of obtaining mine,,,,,,

Today I guess I am the first Pakistani-Canadian to get her lisence…..

Yupppppyyyyyy,,,,,,,,,yallllllllllllaaaaaaaaa galz,,,,,,,,

The next thing I am hoping is that driving habits and road sense of people improve by the time,,,,,,,ReplyCancel

• AnonymousAugust 28, 2018 - 3:04 pm

I was told the same in Dammam recently. They said that the directive to halt issuing foreign dependents’ licenses was open ended and they did not know when it would be lifted. They advised me to show up on my appointment date in Oct by which time it may or may not be allowed. In the mean time they have a backlog of applications building up from other foreign women whose appointment dates have come and gone.ReplyCancel

• Sreeja KumariAugust 28, 2018 - 4:39 pm

I have approached Al Hasa Traffic Authority and they refused because of dependent visa. But at the same time thy issued to other nationalizes with same iqama status !!!!ReplyCancel

• Usman EhsanAugust 30, 2018 - 11:38 am

What about woman under husband sponsorship but not having foreign driving license? How can she get license as she cannot make absher account and has no driving license from any other country?ReplyCancel

• a kAugust 30, 2018 - 12:22 pm

Hi!
    What’s the cost of applying for a license for a woman? I understand official driving lessons are more expensivr for women than men but is this also true for license fees?ReplyCancel

• NisaSeptember 2, 2018 - 5:40 pm

Drove all the way to Makkah from Jeddah to be told the system is closed for dependants😭I hope it’s not for good!! Any ones has any news on this?ReplyCancel

• AsmaaSeptember 4, 2018 - 12:22 am

Unfortunately, issuance of DL for dependent expats is still closed till yesterday. I went and they said that there are orders from Riyadh to stop that for dependent women and yet they did not cancel previously issued DL within the 10 days window for those with similar status!
    Hoping that they found a problem and they would reopen after fixing it!
    Any positive update would be highly appreciated.ReplyCancel

• kwonSeptember 4, 2018 - 5:03 pm

I went Moroor today as per appointment schedule today. They said the system was closed for dependent expats. However, I paid DL for 5years and prepared all required documents.
      Please share any updated information.ReplyCancel

• SnSeptember 4, 2018 - 5:31 pm

Same thing happen to me today. I had an appointment in Jeddah for converting DL and officer told me that system is blocked for dependent expats. His direction was to call or come back again in 2 to 3 weeks to check if the ban is lifted.
      Recommendation was not to cancel current appointment in the system. Hope this will be resolved soon!ReplyCancel

• MAtuSeptember 5, 2018 - 4:11 pm

We went today and they inform us same, system is off and they tell us to return in two weeks. :-(ReplyCancel

• KateSeptember 10, 2018 - 8:00 pm

We faced the same problem in Taif. The answer was “try later after 2 weeks”. But we came from Jeddah it takes all the day and they even don’t have any phone number to check by a phone call.
        Please, ladies, if you get any information about renewal of licenses issue share it here.ReplyCancel

• ReneSeptember 4, 2018 - 1:10 pm

I went today and they said I cannot get my license because it says on my iqama that I am not allowed to work. An officer told me to get an employment letter and get it authenticated at the chamber of commerce (الغرفة التجارية – al ghurfa al tijaariya), make a new appointment, then come back with the documents. Don’t know how official this is so can anyone confirm this????ReplyCancel

• Mrs MudassirSeptember 5, 2018 - 4:55 am

Can any one help telling, What about woman under husband sponsorship but not having foreign driving license?
    How can I get license as I m not having absher account and I don’t have previous license from other countryReplyCancel

• Sandra AustSeptember 9, 2018 - 9:25 am

Hi.
    Unfortunately there’s supposedly a stop to the dependent drivers license testing since Wednesday. Does anybody have any information?!
    ThanksReplyCancel

• SarahSeptember 10, 2018 - 12:55 pm

Hi
    I went to Makkah for the road test today but they said that its closed for dependents and will open it in 2-3 weeks
    The option for dependents making appointments and license fee payment is still open though so hopefully it should be resumed soonReplyCancel

• Jesus BermudezSeptember 13, 2018 - 10:14 am

My wife and I drove today from Khobar to Jubail to her DL exchange appointment. Upon arrival we were informed us the same news. That Drivers license issuance for Iqama Dependents are on hold. No further explanations or an estimate time for resuming its issuances. Would appreciate if someone has some news. Thanks.ReplyCancel

• Jesus BermudezSeptember 13, 2018 - 11:03 am

Today September 13th, I went with my wife (Expat with Bahraini DL) to Al Jubail Traffic Police Dept., and were informed that Drivers License issuance are on hold for Iqama Dependents Ladies. No further details were provided.ReplyCancel

• NighatSeptember 13, 2018 - 4:35 pm

Visited Remal traffic office Riyadh as per my appointment for the test and the Response is same System is closed for DEPENDENT.
    0114927242 is the inquiry number for information about Woman Licences change information.ReplyCancel

• FionaSeptember 14, 2018 - 12:29 pm

My husband tried today to log into Sdlp.sa and book me an appointment. When he tried login in, the website says this service is for “women only.” When I tried, it says I need an Absher account first. Which I can’t since I am a dependent. So I can’t book a appointment or upload my documents. Now we are really out of luck. :(
    By maybe they are changing the system and hopefully dependents will be able to obtain a driver’s license soon.

PS, does anyone know how long the medical reports are valid for?ReplyCancel

• faisalSeptember 14, 2018 - 8:38 pm

hi,

i had taken appointment from SDLP portal and i got date for test on 20 Nov.. today i receive message that the appointment is postponed. even the portal is not working any more for login.. any idea????ReplyCancel

• Expat2018September 18, 2018 - 10:13 am

How can I add my wife as an authorized user to drive my car (expat), when the Absher portal for expats doesn’t have the option to add additional driver? Any news? and whats the status on insurance policies. Does my wife have to buy her own insurance policy even if our car is already fully insured?ReplyCancel

• LauraSeptember 19, 2018 - 11:12 am

I think you just have to ask your insurance company for that because their policies are different form to another.ReplyCancel

• Muhammad ismailSeptember 21, 2018 - 10:46 am

Isha allah no difference between saudi women and expat women and soon ban willbe lifteReplyCancel

• SanaSeptember 29, 2018 - 1:54 pm

Whats the update for expats women having dependant iqama. When will they start accepting the applications. Kindly update as soon as possible.ReplyCancel

• NisaOctober 3, 2018 - 10:37 pm

Any update on dependants driving?ReplyCancel

• MomzayedOctober 7, 2018 - 2:14 pm

Hi!

What’s the update on dependent women who wants to apply for the driving license? Any clear information regarding it? Please let us know. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• JanethOctober 8, 2018 - 6:04 pm

I went to my appointment to exchange my international British license this September . However I wan informed for the official here in the Dammam trafficking office that wife dependents were not allowed to get Saudi licence. This is a very frustrating and sad situation for dependents wife as they don’t privude any clear information about what the prices was stopped for us.ReplyCancel

• Syed NadeemOctober 9, 2018 - 9:39 am

Today I tried several times for registering my wife when I click on the registration button, it takes to the same site of Absher for new registration and at the end, it says the aqama holder does not have an independent aqama. so sorry to say dependent aqama holders cannot get a driving license.ReplyCancel

• AnonymousOctober 9, 2018 - 1:02 pm

Checked today at Dammam. Still no licenses permitted for foreign dependents. No news on when the hold might be lifted.ReplyCancel

• annOctober 12, 2018 - 10:41 am

My husband tried to login in this site http://www.sdlp.sa/login but unfortunately it says that the website is for woman use only.. please update us if its already ok. thank youReplyCancel

• theis sollingOctober 14, 2018 - 4:17 pm

It does not seem like its right around the corner unfortunately. I heard the want to get rid of the serious backlog of women who need to take the test. One way is to prevent more “unnecessary” appointments. We went to Dammam Moruur to talk to the captain who said the directives come from Riyadh and that he did not know when the situation would change. My guess is quite a while…ReplyCancel