How Expats with Dependent Iqama can apply for Saudi Driving License

Great news for women in Saudi Arabia who are under their husbands sponsorship, and previously unable to register online to apply for Saudi driving license. There has been a problem with so called “dependent iqama” holders to apply for the driving license conversion which requires an independent Absher account.

The update is that now the husband (sponsor) can login to the Saudi driving License Portal SDLP www.sdlp.sa/login with his own absher account and then proceed to apply for the foreign license conversion for his wife. The SDLP is in Arabic but below in images are translated step by step guide how to go through this phase.

UPDATE: SDLP site is now available in English!

The rest of the steps how to get Saudi driving license for dependent iqama holders please follow these steps:

Saudi driving license application for women

**Please note this applies to women registered as their husbands dependents in the Absher system, with valid foreign driving license.

If you are a female expat in Saudi under your employers sponsorship or married to a Saudi then follow these steps: How to convert foreign license to Saudi license and you will be able to convert an existing, valid driving license from any foreign country to the Saudi one by first creaitng your own Absher account. Creating an independent Absher account is still not possible for the dependent iqama holders, but it’s now possible to aapply using your husbands absher.

Converting the license does not mean you need to give up or “surrender” your original, however it is needed to present at the Moroor once you are doing the short driving test.

To find out what you need to get done BEFORE registering at SDLP site you must follow the instructions on this post: Step by Step Guide How Expats Apply For Saudi Driving License

If you need to follow the guide in Arabic it is available here: How Saudi and expat women can convert foreign license to Saudi license

Here are the translated steps how to apply for dependents driving license conversion with husbands Absher account on www.sdlp.sa site:

Leave father and grandfather name blank in case your name does not follow this way.

After registering online and booking appointment at your nearest Moroor office the steps are the same as in this guide: How to Apply for Saudi Driving License. Please read to find out more about the driving test and what to bring with you to the test.

Tip: If your city’s appointments are all booked, check your nearest cities and you can apply in any of them.

According to one expat family they went to Makkah Moroor and the traffic officer conducting the test had been very rude and not spoke English at all during the test, forcing the woman to fail her test since she did not understand his instructions. It might be a good idea to take a Arabic speaker with you to test just in case or demand a English speaking officer. But this is just one officer in one location, all others so far I’ve heard of are more friendly and helpful, such as the ones in Riyadh Rimal branch were when I went in June. read about the experience here: Getting our Saudi driving licenses

Good luck everyone and please leave comments about your experiences to help others apply and any updates you know of!

Enjoy driving!

Join the newsletter

Janadriyah camel calendar

Subscribe to get our latest content and updates from Saudi Arabia directly to your inbox.

We won't send you spam. Promise! Powered by ConvertKit

Hello there, I’m Laura, the author of Blue Abaya, the first travel blog in Saudi Arabia established in 2010. I’ve been traveling around and exploring Saudi Arabia since 2008.
Connect with me on social media with the links below!

• MariaJuly 19, 2018 - 1:01 pm

I also got my license from Rimal Riyadh on 12th july and none of the instructors spoke english and i was the first one to go in the morning…yikes. Thankfully the other ladies translated instructions for me and he made another lady take the test before me so i understood what is needed, especially your post and pic of the track helped.

So ladies plz beware and speak up if you dont understand. They are all helpful though.ReplyCancel

• BobJuly 20, 2018 - 4:47 am

Ok sounds good. I as a male took test passed but they still found a problem with my UK license….. eventually when sorted they said I had to do an advance test…. so making up it was cheaper to drive on the AA international license.ReplyCancel

• alokaJuly 20, 2018 - 3:50 pm

hello
    thanks for your detailed article , i checked my iqama , and i find it still valid , thanks again for your helpReplyCancel

• TasneemJuly 20, 2018 - 10:56 pm

Hi, I did sdlp step through my father’s absher account. but where do i upload the documents and where do i book appmnt (online or physical)? Much thanks to you for the update, highly appreciated!ReplyCancel

• StarwberryJuly 22, 2018 - 12:32 pm

Thnks for updating!! you got any idea why i am not able to get past the homepage?.. nothing happens when i try clicking the login button…ReplyCancel

• AdeelJuly 23, 2018 - 2:31 pm

I was facing the same problem, then i cleared the browsing history. then I logged back in and got through the website.ReplyCancel

• Rubaina HayatJuly 23, 2018 - 10:54 am

I am an expat on my fathers visa. I dont have a license from a foriegn country. Can i apply for a license with the same procedure you mentioned above?ReplyCancel

• Deepa SenguptaJuly 23, 2018 - 11:29 am

Thank you Blue Abaya for all the required info.
    Does the Practical test means the written test?
    Also, Is there anyone in Dammam / Khobar who has applied for license? Kindly help on the translation/medical/license center for Dammam / Khobar or nearby areas.ReplyCancel

• Rez25July 26, 2018 - 9:52 pm

Thanks Laura for your help! I got mine in Dammam! Well in fact I went to Hofuf to do the test because no appointments available before september in Dammam. Translation done in Khobar driving school (small office on the left before the entry gate) and medical in Layla Onaizi Polyclinic (you need to go there with the medical form that you can get at the driving school and 2 ID pictures). Everything was pretty easy and got my driving licence in less than 1 hour (well + the 2 hours drive to reach Hofuf ;o). Good luck ladies for yours!ReplyCancel

• Ayesha ismailJuly 24, 2018 - 10:09 am

Your website is very useful please keep it up
    Thanks
    AyeshaReplyCancel

• ReginaJuly 26, 2018 - 5:51 pm

Hi Laura, thanks for the update especially for dependent wives! Just to clarify as I was a little confused by the post – so my husband can apply for the conversion of my license through the SDLP – by logging in with his account details; but the rest of the procedures is the same as Saudi women getting licences? Thanks again! Will hope to be driving soon!ReplyCancel

• ZareenaJuly 30, 2018 - 1:11 pm

How do I apply for a licence if I don’t have a licence from my own country?ReplyCancel

• AlejandraAugust 2, 2018 - 3:37 am

Thanks for the update, you are the best!ReplyCancel

• MominaAugust 2, 2018 - 7:55 am

Laura,
    After obtaining the driver’s license, can I purchase a car and be the primary owner? Thanks!ReplyCancel

• LauraAugust 2, 2018 - 12:23 pm

yes you can as long as it´s not a 7 seater suv car.ReplyCancel

• M MabsAugust 4, 2018 - 8:58 am

The https://www.sdlp.sa/login website does not respond and times out. Did anyone find a way to over this ?ReplyCancel

• MaeAugust 5, 2018 - 10:03 am

Thank you Ms Laura for your blog. I got my Saudi License already from Dammam Morror this week and they were all friendly.ReplyCancel

• rawaa baydounAugust 5, 2018 - 6:28 pm

Hi, I am Lebanese and I have a Lebanese driving license, what can I do to obtain the Saudi driving license? I tried several times to register in Absher site but still not responding. Thanks in advance.ReplyCancel

• AmmarAugust 6, 2018 - 1:48 am

Dear all can anyone help I applied for my wife’s licence
    And it shows the status “ waiting for document validator “

I didn’t pay fee yet those who got their licence can they explain thisReplyCancel