Customs Regulations in Saudi Arabia
General Requirements of Import :
- The importer shall have a commercial registration in which the type of importer’s activity matches the imported goods type.
Original invoice attested by the agency responsible for trade in the exporting country.
Certificate from the exporting country stating that the consignment is in conformity with the approved Saudi or international specifications.
Original certificate of origin legalized by the Chamber of Commerce in the exporting country.
Irremovable label showing the country of origin affixed on the commodity.
Foodstuff validity period together with ingredients should be labeled in Arabic in accordance with the Saudi or GCC specifications.
Register medical preparations at the Ministry of Health (especially medicaments and herbs).
Submit a sample to the Quality Control Laboratory at the Ministry of Commerce and Industry according to goods type. Publications whether readable, audible or visual should be presented to the Ministry of Information and Culture’s representative to verify their compliance with the – Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) regulation. Animals and plants should be submitted to the Ministry of Agriculture’s quarantine facilities at the port to decide whether to be released or not.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST show customer’s name EXACTLY as it appears on passport.
DO NOT use initials or abbreviations for companies (Saudi Government will not accept these invalidating documents)
- Passport (copy) with entry visa
- Residence Permit and Work Permit
- Proof of Employment legalized by Saudi Chamber of Commerce or a Saudi Government Agency
- Certificate of Health, stating customer does not have AIDS
- Inventory, original with description of contents of cartons (PBO – “packed by owner”, CU – “contents unknown” and MISC. – “miscellaneous”, not acceptable) and purchase receipts for major household good items
- Certificate of Origin (for new items), itemized, with price for each article. (Inventory and Certificate of Origin MUST be legalized by the Saudi Embassy or Consulate and translated into Arabic)
- Original valued inventory for Customs purposes
- Keys for any locked items for customs inspection
- Certificate of Insurance, if applicable
- SASO Certificate of Conformity for all electrical items imported into the country
- Letter of Undertaking authorizing destination agent to perform Customs clearance
- Documents for surface shipments must be received at destination a minimum of seven days prior to arrival of vessel
THE OWNER OF THE GOODS MUST BE IN SAUDI ARABIA AT THE TIME OF CUSTOMS CLEARANCE
- Import of consolidation or groupage shipments are not allowed; heavy penalties will be imposed for violations
- All shipments are inspected and subject to duty, including used household goods and personal effects
- Shipments are valued locally and rates vary depending on the item
- Containers and trailers must have a comprehensive packing list of all contents (in a water-proof envelope) taped to the rear door. (List should show customer’s full name and address.) Failure to comply will result in heavy fines.
- Shipments arriving in Saudi Arabia without a comprehensive packing list are subject to unloading and full tally at port of discharge
- “Make Mark” information: All goods imported into the country must show the country of origin; i.e. “made in USA”, “made in Japan”, etc.This mark must tally with the legalized documents presented to Customs for clearance of the goods
- Failure to comply with this regulation will prohibit entry of the goods
*ALL PRINTED MATTER, BOOKS, PICTURES, RECORDS, FILMS, TAPES, SLIDES, MOVIES, VIDEOS, COMPACT DISCS, COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND DISKETTES, ETC. ARE SUBJECT TO CENSORSHIP AND CONFISCATION (MUST BE PACKED SEPARATELY FOR EASY ACCESS AND CLEARLY MARKED ON THE INVENTORY)
Such items will be removed from all incoming shipments at the time of Customs clearance and sent to the Ministry of Information for review. Once censorship has been completed, a separate delivery will be made at an additional charge to the customer.
Cartons containing these articles should be clearly labeled as to contents and must not be mixed with other items
Any restricted or prohibited items in shipment will cause delays, may be subject to confiscation and may cause possible fines or penalties to customer’s account.
Shipments with vehicles in containers are not allowed in Saudi Arabia
Shippers name should match on all documents (i.e. passport, shipping documents and vehicle ownership)
One car allowed per family and must be in accordance with Saudi Arabian standards
Vehicles of model year 1974 or older cannot be imported
Many other restrictions apply to cars of foreign residents
The following information must be furnished to the steamship company for all vehicles going to Saudi Arabia: make, model, year, color, engine and chassis number, license and serial number, weight, dimensions of vehicle with bumpers, owner’s address at origin, date car was last registered in the U.S., Customer’s destination address, including phone contact overseas.
Car must be registered as soon after clearance as possible.
- Proof of Ownership (Title)
- SASO Certificate
- Legalized Purchase Invoice and Certificate of Origin
- Proof of insurance
- For used cars, Certificate from Interpol, or origin traffic police, showing there is no police case against car
- Copy of Passport and Residence Permit (IQAMA)
- Letter of Saudi sponsor
- Letter of Authorization from consignee to clear car
- Customs Fee Declaration
- Landing Authorization
- Valid Saudi driver’s license required for registration
REQUIREMENTS FOR IMPORTING PETS
- Vaccination certificates,
- health certificate
- quarantined in a IATA approved kennel
- MORE INFO ABOUT BRINGING PETS INTO KSA
SOURCE URL: http://www.customs.gov.sa
Join the newsletter
Join over 6000 Subscribes and get our latest content and updates from Saudi Arabia directly to your inbox.